Laura's books-i-have-read-in-2017 book montage

Dragonsdawn
The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall


Laura's favorite books »

Monday, October 10, 2011

Back to the Grocery Store


What does it say about your life when the fact that you went grocery shopping is the highlight of your day or even your week? That is how I feel today. We got some found money and after a short spat decided that after saving some for Christmas some would be used to replenish our pantry. It was getting very sparse because I wasn't buying the things we needed to have a variety of food. Things like sugar, flour and other items you would use in a recipe to make a meal. He would buy meat, noodles, cream of mushroom soup, tuna and spaghetti sauce.

Variety to him was, after the three of us repeatedly reminded him that we liked dark meat, finally switching from chicken breast to chicken thighs. I want to make pumpkin mac and cheese this week. Variety to me is trying new flavors and combinations of food that I never thought of before. I love to fool around with ingredients and discovering new flavors.

Not being able to grocery shop has been a thorn in my side. I love having the time to myself. I really like being in a store and not having to tell anyone to "Stop touching that!" or "Come back here!". Add that to my love of cooking and well let's be honest, eating, and not being able to grocery shop has been killing me.


Walking through produce and finding new fruits and vegetables to try is like hunting. I have to try to find things that not only my children will eat, but the Ogre too. If you think children are picky eaters, they have nothing on him. He will make the yuck face and often say exactly how he thinks the offending food tastes. Usually it is negative.

There are so many foods I want to try and that I want to expose my children too. They have edible flowers and I keep trying to think of a way to justify their purchase and use in a meal. I used them once before in a salad many years ago. My sister in law still teases me about me using them. That salad was also my first experience with scotch bonnet peppers. I love spicy food but popping a whole scotch bonnet in your mouth expecting green pepper flavor and instead finding your mouth on fire is something you don't forget.

I had to put items back on this trip because I would put things in my cart and find something else that we needed or that would make a great meal. Then because it had been so long since I had done a full grocery run I forgot some items that we did need. I bought Italian Sausage links and forgot the buns. Add to that items I couldn't find like smokey paprika and I really want to go back tomorrow to finish the job.

When I got home the children were overjoyed by my purchases. That is not an exaggeration. They were jumping up and down and as they helped me unpack the groceries would squeal with delight when they pulled them out of the bags. When B saw the purple cauliflower she was thrilled. I have to say that I love the fact that my daughter, like me, loves to try new food.

Now the groceries are purchased and I wonder when I will be able to go back to shop again. He has all the control of the money now. I squirrel away as much as I can, but know it will be a while before I can get enough for a full grocery shop. Already I have a list of items I need or want so I can cook tasty meals. When will I be able to go back to the grocery store?

No comments:

Post a Comment