Laura's books-i-have-read-in-2017 book montage

Dragonsdawn
The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall


Laura's favorite books »

Friday, May 27, 2011

Graduation - I Made It

It was almost two years ago that I made the decision to return to school. I wanted to be able to get a better job so that if I left this pitiful excuse for a marriage I could support myself and my children. Since then I found a good program and got accepted. I walked into my first class and found myself doing something I loved.

Teaching could be in my blood. My mother is a teacher and for a while so was my father. I have an aunt who was a teacher and an uncle who taught and was a principal. When I worked in the planetarium field it was the teaching of astronomy that I loved. The look on children's face when they got it was the best reward.

Now I have my degree, I walked across that stage and got my scroll (my diploma comes in the mail in 6 - 8 weeks). I have student taught and I am ready to go. I have supplies that have been passed down to me from teachers I have known over the years. However I don't have a job. I have applied, I have searched and I have networked. My fingerprints have been taken and the police and the state have reviewed my background. I am a teacher, but I have no class.

My children are so proud of me. I am having a party to celebrate my achievement. Guest have offered to bring food, my daughter helped me pick out some decorations. My husband has done nothing but complain. How are we going to pay for it? That is all he cares about. I am not serving lobster or anything that is going to break us. I am keeping it low key, I know we don't have a lot of money or really any to spare. But I did it, I graduated, I passed all my state mandated exams, I got excellent grades, I wrote my papers and I taught many classes of wonderful children. I made it and I want to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment