Laura's books-i-have-read-in-2017 book montage

Dragonsdawn
The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall


Laura's favorite books »

Sunday, July 19, 2009

My Dishwashing History




This is a fantastic day for me. I finally have a dishwasher that works. It has been about 15 years since I lived somewhere that had a dishwasher. Back then I hated doing the dishes. I hated loading and unloading the dishwasher. I lived at home with my parents and it was something that was forced upon me. I resented the chore and I was focused on obtaining my freedom.

Well, I got my freedom and I moved into a house with no dishwasher. At first washing dishes by hand was a novelty and I gladly did it. Lets just say that didn't last long. My loathing of doing the dishes allowed them to slowly pile up. It was the beginning of a huge issue between Dennis and I. Neither one of us wanted to do dishes. But who really wants to do them. It was always something that we did grudgingly and only what needed to be done.

I am ashamed to say that sometimes I would just throw away a dish that was just not going to get cleaned. There were months we used paper plates so we wouldn't have to do many dishes. In short we took any short cut to lessen the chore of washing dishes and putting them away.

We have gotten a portable dishwasher as a gift many years ago, when we lived in our old house and Dennis would find excuse after excuse to not use it. I used it but it was a tight fit in our small kitchen and it soon stopped working. About four years ago we got another one for free, it leaked. For the last three years I have been begging for one every year at income tax time. It was something we could afford with our tax refund. Every year something else was put in front of it. It was becoming a quest for me. I was growing up, I wanted a dishwasher. And I wanted it NOW!

Finally this week things were going my way. We went looking at prices of new portable dishwashers as I expected they were too highly priced for our budget. We looked at a used appliance store and the portable dishwasher's there were not in the best shape. That night I found two dishwashers on craigslist that seemed like good ones. We managed to see them both without the kids and even managed to have some much needed talking between us.

I don't think we ever actually agreed to buy a dishwasher between the two of us. I can only hope that he too saw the wisdom of the purchase. We did put a deposit on one of the dishwashers
"TouchTap controls provide a modern look and are easy-to-clean. A 4-level PowerScrub wash system with PowerShower directs water precisely for a quiet, efficient clean. The 100% triple water filtration system maintains clean water for clean dishes. And the Piranha™ hard food disposal grinds leftover food into small particles that are easily washed away. Pots and Pans cycle - tough food stains are scrubbed and scoured clean. Deluxe silverware basket - basket holds multiple pieces of silverware for thorough cleaning. Woodgrain laminate top - attractive surface provides a durable work area"
and we picked it up today. I couldn't wait to use it.

Yes, I was excited to do the dishes. The same job I would dread while living at my parents house. I loaded that first load with glee. My daughter helped and she too was excited. We filled up the machine and hooked it up to the faucet. We had a couple errors and the water would shoot all over the kitchen. B and I giggled and cleaned up our mess, then it happened again. Finally we got it hooked up right and working. The dishes were getting clean and B and I watched a movie.

The too of us unloaded the dishwasher when the cycles ended. The dishes were put away and we put pots and pans in next. I finally had a working dishwasher and I was starting to get my kitchen back. One step at a time and eventually the house will be ready for company. Dennis is not happy with the dishwasher. I can see that for now it will be me who uses it. I can accept that. After fifteen years of hand washing dishes I am ready for the machine. I embrace the machine and I have it all ready for the next load.

No comments:

Post a Comment