Laura's books-i-have-read-in-2017 book montage

Dragonsdawn
The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall


Laura's favorite books »

Monday, July 20, 2009

Reclaiming a Room

This week is the week I am hoping to take back my kitchen. It has been months since we have eaten in there and I have done all I can to avoid the room. I haven't really done much complicated cooking, nothing like I used to do. I used to make meals from scratch all the time. Now I just open a box and heat it up in the microwave.

Last week I acquired a dishwasher and have found myself doing more dishes willingly than I ever have before. Today my brother came over and assembled my corner bench for the kitchen. Finally I have a table and chairs in my kitchen that I like. Because the bench is in the corner the table is out of the way, but still easily usable by the family.

Tomorrow I will have the drill charged and I can hand up the wall pot holder. It will let me move the pots and pans out of a cupboard and hang them from the wall. Then The cupboard can be used to store some of the things that didn't have a home before. My goal is to get the kitchen organized by the end of the week.

I am getting the urge to cook again. I have found myself buying ingredients that I haven't used in months. I watch the cooking shows and have started gathering recipes that I want to try. I walk into Wal-Mart and find myself in the cleaning section of the store.

This happens to me every so often, I all of a sudden get a cleaning urge and start cleaning. Then the urge goes away and the job isn't done then it just gets worse. This time I am somehow going to work past the urge and get one room done. I want my kitchen back.

When we moved into this house the kitchen was the selling point. It was huge. I knew I would finally have a room that I could cook in without being cramped for space. In the beginning I managed to keep up with it. I don't know when I lost control, but I did. I found myself having a kitchen that I was ashamed to let people see. Now I am going to have a kitchen that I can be proud to show off through my back door.

I figure that I will start with the one room and once I can keep it nice and clean I will branch out to a different room in the house. I will have people over to visit soon. I just need to reclaim one room at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment