Laura's books-i-have-read-in-2017 book montage

Dragonsdawn
The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall


Laura's favorite books »

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What is Autism Awareness Month - Part 2 of 3

My Son and Asperger's Disorder

Photobucket

His first word was a sentence the day before he turned 5 months old. It happened in a mall and he clearly said, "I want my Mama!" It was clearly enough for passing by shoppers to understand his words and comment on how unusual it was to hear a baby say this.

He could say "quesadilla" when he was 7 months old. When he was turning three he wanted his birthday party theme to be "Dirty Jobs". That was his favorite TV show, Mike Rowe was his favorite person and He insisted on that as his party theme.

When he was potty training he needed to know where the water from the toilet went. We said into pipes under ground. He then wanted to know where those pipes went. This continued until we went for a car ride to see the water treatment plant. Then he wanted to go inside.

Being the fun mom that I am I called the plant and arranged a short tour for him. Yes my three year old went on a tour of a water treatment plant. He loved it. He asked great questions and only didn't like one large room because it smelled funny. No not that kind of smell, but it was different.

He is fascinated by how things work. He has to feel different textures; often it was our uncooked pasta, rice, and coffee. Unfortunately this fascination often led to big messes. That was "the straw that broke our backs". We went to a family psychologist for answers.

By this time I was aware of Asperger's and other mom's that I was a friend too had children "on the spectrum". Some of their children were labeled autistic, some high functioning autistic and some were asperger's. Each one was a unique snowflake. Autism manifests itself differently in every child. Each one is special in their own way, just like neurotypical children.

Asperger’s is what I saw in my son when I watched him. Three months later the psychologist also thought that might be the case. One more month and we had a diagnosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment