Laura's books-i-have-read-in-2017 book montage

Dragonsdawn
The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall


Laura's favorite books »

Thursday, April 23, 2009

To Medicate or Not to Medicate, That is the Question

My son has been diagnosed with Asperger's Disorder for over a year now. We knew something was different for almost 3 years now. It hasn't gotten any easier and I would actually say it has gotten worse. The fact that what is effecting his behavior is a neurological condition and that we know the name of it hasn't given us much relief.

Photobucket
I open his "fancy folder" from school every day with a sense of dread. More often than not his behavior for the day was off. Now it is beginning to effect his classmates. I have been not even thinking about medicating him. I knew it would probably happen, but I wanted to hold off as long as I could. Now that his classmates are being effected by his issues I made the phone call.

I called our peds office today to start the process. First I just want to talk with his doctor. I feel like I should be able to do more. I don't want to put my baby on medication. At the same time I am so worn down by his behavior. I want to open that folder and read some good comments. I want to not be afraid when I send him to school and not worry that he will do something to another student.

I keep saying I but there is a we involved. It just is I feel so weighed down by this decision. Sometimes just thinking about medicating my baby makes me feel like a horrible mother taking a shortcut. I know I am not, I know that this is something we that I have researched for many months. This is something my husband and I have debated about at length. This is something that we were considering for a long time. This isn't a shortcut and if done correctly will help P focus more while at school.

So I have an appointment next week and I am scared. I have all the notes from his teachers last year and this year about his behavior. I don't even know if there is anything else I should bring. I really wish there was a "So you Child has Asperger's" handbook so I would know what to do. So I guess I will just have to wing it and hope I can make the decision of to medicate or not to medicate.

1 comment:

  1. Laura, this is something that we struggle with here as well and as our son is in puberty it makes it even harder having his Aspie challeneges on top of puberty. You are being the best Mom God made you to be, the best for your children.

    ReplyDelete